Monday, February 9, 2015

St. Paul's 24 Hour Host

Nestled in the heart of downtown St. Paul is one of Minnesota's claims to fame, Mickey's Diner. 
_______________________________________________

Does anyone remember the movie Jingle All the Way, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger? I remember watching this movie as a kid and loving it because it was filmed in Minnesota. I haven't seen the movie in years, but to this day I distinctly remember the scene filmed in Mickey's Diner. I think it stuck with me because Mickey's is truly a unique dining experience, and a historical landmark unlike any other in Minnesota. 


To a kid, or person of any age, places like this are simply fascinating. As soon as you walk in the door, you find yourself thrown into the chaos of the tiny 50x10 foot interior, watching the employees behind the counter cook meals and serve customers like a well-oiled machine. I don't think I said more than a few words the entire time I was there, I was so infatuated with the entire place. 




Open twenty-four hours, seven days a week, 365 days a year since 1939. That's a lot of Mickey's history! Think about it, this diner has been running non-stop since it opened 76 years ago. That fact in itself is what truly makes Mickey's a note-worthy destination in Minnesota. 


It's time to talk food, and Mickey's has it all. When I went to the diner this past weekend, I was expecting just breakfast food to be served. I don't know why because Mickey's offers every option under the sun when it comes to diner food. Although my eggs, bacon, and hash brown meal was great, I started to get food envy as I watched other dishes being prepared in front of me. I could have gotten pancakes, belgian waffles, chili, a burger, chocolate malt, the list goes on!


Enjoy this unique dining experience for yourself!
Mickey's Diner is located on 36 W. 7th Street in downtown St. Paul. 
Open anytime all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment